to time the Association conducts excursions to places of historical
interest. Usually there are several such events each year: a major
weekend excursion and one or more day or part day trips.
Sat November 12th
Further details will be posted as they are finalised.
2.00pm Sunday, June 5
Meet in front of St Andrew's Hall
Cost $5 per person, pay on the day
RSVP by Monday 30 May to email@example.com
A guided tour
of the Scots Memorial church, followed by an inspection of the Fraser
collection and museum in St Andrew's Hall, which was opened for worship
in September 1824 and is one of the oldest church buildings in
Australia. Tea and coffee will be served.
Transport Museum, March 20, 2016
Glenorchy, Hobart. Sunday March 20.
FENTON EXCURSION TO THE DERWENT VALLEY
28 March, 2015
Our next excursion will
take us on a tour of properties and places in the Derwent Valley
associated with one of Van Diemen Land’s early settlers – bringing to
life the story of Elizabeth Fenton, who was immortalised in 1901 with
the publication of The Journal of Mrs Fenton.
Margaret Mason-Cox has been researching the extraordinary life of
Elizabeth Fenton since she stumbled across the journal in preparation
for her first book, Lifeblood of a Colony (1994). Awarded an Arts
Council of Tasmania writer’s grant in 2000, she spent the next five
years transcribing the unpublished journals of her subject (1857-67) in
preparation for a biography. University studies on the subject were
interrupted by the award of a State Library of Tasmania Research
Fellowship – which produced Robert Walker of Kilburn Grange (2005) –
followed by a commission to write Character Unbound: A History of The
Hutchins School (2013). Most recently Margaret spent three months in
Ireland, carrying out research and following the faded footprints of
Elizabeth Knox Campbell across Antrim, Leitrim, Derry, Cavan, Sligo and
Meet at Cornelian Bay carpark opposite the toilet block at 9.15 for 9.30 departure, returning 4.30-5.00.
Bookings through THRA and paid for in advance, please.
Numbers are limited. Please confirm asap to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring a packed lunch and water bottle.
Tea and coffee will be available during the afternoon.
Wear stout shoes, layered clothing and bring a raincoat, just in case!
Oatlands to Parattah 18 May 2013
Saturday 18 May 2013 about forty members and friends enjoyed a walk
along the newly opened, seven-kilometre Dulverton Walking Track.
This follows (mostly) the old railway line, opened in 1885 and closed
in 1949, which connected Oatlands with the Main Line Railway station at
The walk was developed by
volunteers, who make the track, dug up weeds, planted thousands of
native trees, and restored bridge decking and sections of the railway
line. Points of interest were numbered, and a brochure printed which
gives information about each. The track was completed in December 2011.
were led by Stephanie Burbury of the Oatlands District Historical
Society. The walk started at the Society’s excellent museum in
Oatlands, and we strolled beside Lake Dulverton with its marvellous
bird life, then across to Parattah, seeing such interesting sites as
the Second World War flax mill, a restored section of track, a replica
waiting room, historic pine trees, and the place where night carts
emptied their dunny containers, many of which are still there. This was
the most unexpected part of the walk.
Several members took a detour to see a convict-built stone sheep wash and barn across the paddocks.
Parattah we had lunch in the railway station, and Leigh Blake, who
worked for the railways for many years, entertained us with his
reminiscences. Leigh and his colleagues have a small museum here too,
and railway enthusiasts in particular enjoyed perusing the many
This is an excellent walk, interesting, attractive
and level, and anyone interested is welcome to do it. Brochures
can be obtained from the Tourism Centre at the Callington mill, or at
the Oatlands district Historical Society’s Museum (check their website
for opening hours).
Many thanks to Stephanie, Leigh and the Society for their cooperation.
Bothwell 27 October 2012
Mary Ramsay has kindly agreed to arrange a tour of
Bothwell on Saturday, 27 October. The details are as follows:
Meet at 9:45-10am
at Elm Corner Cafe corner Alexander and Queen Streets Bothwell for a cuppa
there at own expense and a tour of the property. Leave at 10:30am
for tour of Bothwell township. This will be part walking and part driving.
Consolidate cars on return from walking tour.
Ratho for lunch at 12:30pm—BYO food and tea and
coffee will be provided. Alternatively if people wish they can organise to go
to the Nant Distillery for lunch at their own expense and with prior booking (please
ring 62595702 if you want to pursue this option).
2pm Nant tour and
then on to other places in the area.
Tour to finish at 4pm. Suggest go to Red Devil Cafe in Patrick St for a final cuppa.
The cost of this
excursion will be $10. For more information contact Margaret Glover on 6225 1905 or
email at email@example.com
Upper Derwent Valley 1 December 2012
are fortunate to be able to offer another excursion, this time to
the Upper Derwent Valley, later in the year on 1 December. Once again we
must thank Anne Thwaites and Ken Wright for organising this excursion.
At this stage the details are as follows:
will travel by coach to Ouse, visiting 5 Historic properties. The
owners will be available to talk to us about the history and
the workings of their properties. We will lunch at the Ouse Country
club and the catering will be by a local group.
cost is yet to be worked out, but we need expressions of
interest from members. The excursion will be limited to 40
members. If you are interested in attending the Ouse excursion contact
Ken Wright or Anne Thwaites by phone on 62279363 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
THRA's first excursion for 2012 will be to Tasman Bay and North
Bay on the Forestier Peninsula. We will meet at Bangor at 10am for a
four hour tour to these bays which were the first visited by European
navigators in Tasmania. The excursion will include a walk of
approximately 6-7 kilometres. There is a limit of 20 participants and a
cost of $20 per person. Please contact Ian Terry on 6234 9979 or at email@example.com. This excursion is now full.
A Tour of Markree 5 August 2011
is a 1920s residence bequeathed to the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
by railway engineer Henry Baldwin. After two years of research and
planning Markree will open as a house museum in May 2011. Join project
manager Anthony Curtis on a tour of the house and gardens to hear about
Mr Baldwin's extraordinary life and bequest, and how he has approached
establishing the museum. The excursion will be held on Friday August 5.
Numbers will be be restricted to 20 and a small donation would be
appreciated. For bookings contact Ian Terry (tel: 6234 9979, email:
Westbury Excursion - Friday 21 October 2011 6pm to Sunday 23rd October 2011 approx. 4pm. Limited to 40 people.
This weekend will be based in Westbury with
historians from the Westbury Historical Society and local identities as guides.
Visits to the Hagley and Whitemore area on Saturday will be by bus – to St.
Mary’s Church, Hagley House, Heazlewood Seeds and stud sheep, Shaws Contracting
and thoroughbred horses and Montrose Books. Sunday will be a 1 ½ hours morning
walking tour of Westbury, a visit to St.
and Ellen Nora Payne’s woodcarvings and to Culzean, and more! Further details
The two evening meals will be at Fitzpatrick’s Inn,
with local guest speakers. Cost per person $150 max. Approx. includes Friday and Saturday evening meals
(buy own drinks), morning teas, lunches, bus travel and admission to all
properties etc. Payment date will be advised later.Pugin Churches in Oatlands, Colebrook and Richmond 12 February 2011
On Saturday 12 February Brian
Andrews lead an excursion to three Pugin Churches in Oatlands,
Colebrook and Richmond and gave a fascinating account of the
theory and design of Pugin architecture. Click on the thumbnails to view photos.
Valley Excursion 5
to 7 March 2010
This weekend highlighted the diverse range of historic
features and old skills of the valley.
Landmarks visited included Native Hut
The Den, the Nine Foot, the Alum Cliffs, Wet Cave Reserve, the
fortified barn complex at Old Wesleydale, and more.
Excursions in 2008 have been to follow the
River on March 15-16 and June 15. An afternoon tea at Summerhome in
Moonah on October 12. There were also two excursions to Anglesea
Click on the thumbnails to view photos of
On Sunday 4 October, 2009 THRA held an excursion to Woodsdale and
Runnymede, New Town
A rare nineteenth-century whaling family’s home named after
Captain Charles Bayley’s favourite ship, Runnymede was the home
of members of the family for more than a hundred years. The house
contains rich collections of material related to the whaling and
maritime interests of the family as well as artworks and family
possessions of the previous owner Francis Nixon, Tasmania’s first
Anglican Bishop. Runnymede survives with house, cottage and coach house
within extensive gardens. It is owned and operated by the National
THRA has organised an excursion to Runnymede
Sunday afternoon 28 June. The house is situated in Bay Road, and there
is a car park beside the house off Bay Road on the right as you go down
the hill. Please meet in the garden at 2 pm, and you’re advised
to wear clothing suitable for a historic house in winter, i.e. warm. We
will be shown round the house, and enjoy a traditional afternoon tea.
Cost $12 per head.
Down the Isis
and Elizabeth Rivers
The THRA weekend excursion for 2009 will be following the courses of
the Macquarie, Isis and Elizabeth Rivers. It will be based in Campbell
Town, and organised by Mary Ramsay (thanks, Mary).
The cost is $90 per person, which covers bus
travel (air conditioned) for two days, 1 dinner, 2 lunches, 2 morning
teas and 2 afternoon teas, as well as printed notes.
There is adequate accommodation in Campbell
Town. The Foxhunters' Return
6381 1602 offers a discount
for THRA members, and you can also book at Ivy
Glenelg 6381 1228, the pub
6381 1494, the Gables
6381 1347, or at
Ross. You will need to get yourself to and from Campbell Town - the bus
is based there.
Excursionists will be sent a detailed